Smoky Mountain Colors

Sunday, January 05, 2014

New Knitting Techniques and Getting Comfortable with the Old Ones

Now that we have finished all our holiday knitting, and we have a little time before we jump into another big projects it's time to maybe think about learning some new knitting techniques or maybe learning a new, faster way to get the results you are looking for in your knitting. I know that some people avoid patterns because they are afraid of the technique because it looks too complicated or it just makes them nervous. That makes me sad. We should always be tackling something that makes us a little nervous. Where would we all be right now if we hadn't done thing that gave us "butterflies"?

I am working with my students on taking on a more challenging project every time they finish one. And I am so proud of them. Within a few months, they are knitting in the round, doing advanced cables and taking on their first sweaters. What an awesome group. SOOOOO, I am asking you, as a fellow knitter, as a friend, what is your next challenge? What are you wanting to learn but find yourself putting it off. Short rows? Cables? Finishing? Well I teach, but I can't get to you I'm going to suggest following the link below and just checking out what Craftsy has to offer. I have taken several of their classes, just to see the instructor, the class material, and what is covered. It's impressive. Plus once you bought the class, its yours forever, you can watch the videos over and over AND ask questions. They also have free classes. Now knitting isn't their only subject. I'm taking all kinds of things, but when it comes to learning techniques, being able to stop the video, and see close ups, at your own pace, this just might be what you are looking for. I know when short rows came out, some loved them and some were totally freaked out, but, now that technique is main stream and you see it all the time.

Ok, so here is the link, just click on it and check it out. Craftsy  (Don't forget to let me know what you think)

No comments: