Smoky Mountain Colors

Monday, January 13, 2014

Coralicious Socks & Kollage Yarns Sock-a-licious Part Two

Coralicious Sock part two.
So the foot is done, the heel is turned and the heel flap is made. The first photo is of the heel turn. For the most part I usually prefer a short row heel. But, this heel turn and heel flap is so comfortable and easy to knit that I have incorporated it into other toe up socks that I've made. My only suggestion is if you have a thin or smallish heel, when you begin the heel turn, go down a needle size. I've had to do that when knitting socks for a friend. It works out wonderfully. Then when the heel flap is finished go back to the original needle size. Look how great and smooth the heel turn is and it flows right into the heel flap.

This photo is of the connection of the gusset stitches and the heel. I would like to note here that the pattern calls for M1's. Paula uses the K1f&b but she suggests that you can use the M1 that you prefer.  When it comes to the decreases the pattern calls for the SSK and P2tog. Recently I learned a little trick to the SSK. The first stitch I slip as to purl, the second stitch I slip as to knit. I just like how it looks. If you haven't tried it before, now's the time.î

These photos are of the finished heel and heel flap. I also wanted to show you the instep. I wear a size 8 1/2 shoe if that helps give you a little idea of the sizing.


So now it's time to decide how many repeats to do for the leg and how much of a cuff will look good then bind off and cast on for the second sock. Another wonderful things about this pattern is that it is easy to customize. Everyone likes their socks a little different. Finished photos will be next!

No comments: