Smoky Mountain Colors

Sunday, March 11, 2012

I am curious this morning to find out how many of you are like me. Great intentions but leave very little grey room for things like the 40 other irons you have in the fire. I have to admit that not only the blog, but there are friends and other important things that have had to take a back seat this past month to all that's been going on.  We've all been sick, including my Great Dane, and it seems like the more I want to have a normal routine that just doesn't seem to be in the cards. So the fingers are crossed and here's hoping for a little calm. :-)

Let's talk about fiber things. Those wonderful projects that bring us hours of fun.

Feb. 18th I taught a class at Smoky Mountain Spinnery on 2-Handed Fair Isle. It was so much fun. We had a great time and all the ladies enjoyed taking their knitting to a new level. For those who are interested here is a link to get you started. 2 Handed Fair Isle. Learning this technique will open up so much for you in knitting. Here is what we made. (and it didn't hurt that we used Mochi Plus and Solid Mochi where were a dream to knit with). We have had such a good response to this class that I'm actually scheduling private lessons for it. How cool is that?


Then of course I've been spinning. I finished spinning the Sea Mist Merino/Silk and have been knitting a shawl. There is something exciting about knitting yarn that you have spun yourself. I highly recommend it. Whether it's a drop spindle or a wheel. You just got to try it. Here is the pattern I picked for my handspun, the  Waves of Leaves shawl. (the link is to the Ravelry page. ) Here is a pic of what I have gotten done so far.



I am really loving this pattern, it's written very well. Try it, you will like it.

One afternoon while I was spinning, I was dropping everything I picked up. So I went to Ravelry and found a little bag to knit and felt to hang on my wheel. It turned out cute, but you know me I wanted to make it a little more customized. So I wrote a pattern for the Cutest Little Spinning Bag. It takes no time at all to make and uses about half of a skein of Lamb's Pride worsted.


One of the changes I made was to make it a little thicker and more sturdy. I don't know about you but when I use something a lot it gets worn quickly, and I also thought that the bag may also get used for other things.


If you are interested in my pattern please let me know I'd love to share it with you. I have it available at the Spinnery, and not sure if I will put it on Ravlery.

Well it's time to head out. Gunther has to be fed, kids taken to work, call and check on mom, maybe go over and check on her, house cleaning, laundry and a run to the store to get something for dinner. Does this sound familiar?

Be Blessed.

No comments: